21 September 2006

The Adventure of Living Overseas

I get a lot more interesting emails (a larger quantity- the people emailing before were interesting too) with the comments turned off. An emailer had this to say about overseas life:

I think that the charm of living overseas might be the fact that the simplest of everyday activity becomes a little adventure, a chance to learn something, to discover something. For example buying bread becomes a linguistic exercise and a chance to find new breads and new traditions.

Exactly. I'm not what anyone would call adventurous (certainly not what my husband would call adventurous), but I like those little chances to learn something. And I suppose that you can have adventures buying potatoes at Winco, but it's just not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment