03 August 2006

Central Asia from a Turkic Perspective

I'm a few chapters into Hugh Pope's Sons of the Conquerors: The Rise of the Turkic World. It's interesting getting a different perspective here because Pope is coming at Central Asia from his perspective of living in Turkey instead of the more common route of through Russia or the former Soviet Union (the other path seems to be through the Middle East and Islam, like my husband and me).

I'll do a more thorough review when I've finished the book, but from what I've read so far, Pope seems to take what he's learned or theorized about Turkey and try to apply it to other Turkic areas of the world. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But it's nice to see a book like this out there. The Turkic world has been sadly ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment