25 July 2006

The Reindeer People

I had no idea The Reindeer People was almost a trendy book. I just found it at the library and saw it was about post-Soviet Siberia (clearly, I am out of the loop after living in KG for a year.)It's won awards and has lots of reviews in notable places. But it doesn't have as many reviews at Amazon as a truly trendy book would. I'm not sold that this book really would appeal to a wide range of people.

Don't get me wrong. I am nearly finished and I LOVE the book. It's one of the most interesting books I've read in a very long time and I think that it should be widely read. It's one of those books that I like to have my husband around when I'm reading so I can tell him interesting tidbits. But the topic is obscure enough that I just don't think it ever will be widely read.

But if you get a chance to read it, do. It's worth it. I'll do a more thorough review later.

No comments:

Post a Comment