18 July 2006

Books for the Week

The Reindeer People: Living with Animals and Spirits in Siberia by Piers Vitebsky- This was a lucky find in the collection of new books at the library. It is so hard to find much written about Central Asia, and Siberia is even worse. The author, an anthropologist, has spent the last 20 years researching the Even people of northern Siberia and so far I am enjoying the book. Since he is not Russian and started his research before the breakup of the Soviet Union, he has a very interesting perspective.

Homesick: My Own Story
by Jean Fritz- First, can I say that Jean Fritz is my favorite children's non-fiction author, and maybe even my favorite children's author (I'm not sure if I like E.L. Konigsburg better)? This book is technically fiction, and certainly different from most of Jean Fritz' other books, but I do like it a lot. She writes about growing up in China and her return to the US when she was 12.

David O. McKay Around the World by Hugh Cannon- I found this books last year and have been looking forward to it for a long time. Like Julie's review points out, there isn't much about the Church in any of the places they visit, but I enjoyed reading about their travels. Now I'd love to read a scholarly history of what the Church was like in these places at that time- number of members, how long missionaries had been there, what other proselytizing churches were doing there, etc.

I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson- Another reread that my sister gave to me when we stopped at the airport in Chicago. I think I'm enjoying more the second time around, especially after being out of the US for a few months. I'm not a huge Bill Bryson fan, but I do like this one quite a bit. And he complains about the lack of walking in the US too.

And I have a whole collection of books on hold at the library. Since I don't know how long we'll be in the US, I have to take every advantage of the library. And the air conditioning works wonderfully there too.

1 comment:

  1. I love Bill Bryson, as well. He makes me laugh out loud.

    If you ever go through Cedar, give me a call and we'll do lunch.

    ReplyDelete