19 June 2006

Year's End

Homeschooling went really well this year. Of course, my younger son still isn't really in school yet so it can't have been all that hard, but it really went even better than I could have hoped for. Both boys learned how to read and write much better, they loved history, math and science were a hit (and we even managed to move past earth science to learning about plants and animals, thanks to National Geographic), and grammar, while not a favorite, went fine too.

It helps to have a younger son who's excited about everything and pushes the older one a bit, especially with reading. Older son is now getting worried that his brother will be reading better than he does if he doesn't keep practicing.

This year was altogether too busy with all the things I was doing both at home and outside the home and I'm ready for a break. But I'm not ready for a break from school- we just have too much fun.

3 comments:

  1. I really want to know how you did it. Honest. I don't have kids to homeschool or take care of and I'm constantly swamped. My house is a mess.

    My Maxwell, age 7, is going into 2nd grade and he can barely read at all. I had him last week and it was really sad. My DIL told me to work with him, but she sent me nothing to work with.

    I made flash cards and borrowed a Dick and Jane book from a neighbor, but I'm pretty clueless. How did you teach your kids so early?

    I learned early, but I was motivated. Poor Max. I worry so much about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My older son didn't really learn quickly- I don't know that he will ever truly love reading, but instead will read to get information. He only reads slightly above average even though he started sounding words out when he was 4 (he's 7 now). The younger had the advantage of listening to me teaching the older one for a long time.

    There are lots of different reading programs, and I've looked at lots of them, but I love Reading Reflex and used it with both boys. It's a good system to teach children how to read well and it helps parents (and grandparents) understand how reading works. It's especially recommended for children who are having a hard time learning to read.

    If you want, I could loan you my copy of the book when I get back to the US. The book could be at a library too; that's where I first started using it.

    Good luck. I hope you can help Max. But there are also plenty of children who struggle with reading early on and go on to be excellent readers a few years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for taking the time and engergy to homeschool your family. I have a toddler that I'm considering homeschooling but there are so few people here in Los Angeles that do it so I'm having a hard time envisioning how it would be. I'm always happy to read about others' good experiences. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete