18 May 2006

Thank You to the Turks, Dungans, Uighurs, and Koreans

I just wanted to thank the Turks, Dungans, Uighurs, and Koreans for making the culinary experience in Kyrgyzstan much more pleasant. Traditional Kyrgyz food consists of boiled meat. The fat is especially prized. I have no problem with this people choosing to eat this diet, but I'm not particularly interested in it.

So I appreciate being able to buy bulgur in the grocery store, to eat laghman with some flavor and zip, to eat all the tasty Korean salads available on every corner of Bishkek, and so much more.

4 comments:

  1. If Koreans are around you might be able to get some good sushi rolls, although I don't know if the materials would be available. I learned to enjoy Korean food while living in Israel, because of the Korean students who were there studying Biblical Hebrew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they do sushi here. All I've seen have been salads, although I haven't looked all that closely. Maybe there's sushi all over the city that I haven't seen (but I don't think so).

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I feel for you! This post has stuck with me a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, what I'd really like is some of my homemade bread with strawberry jam (freezer jam, of course).

    ReplyDelete