14 March 2006

A Few Central Asia Events and Articles

Music and Voices of Central Asia will be performing at Colombia University this weekend. There will be a variety of performers from Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, and Afghanistan, including a manaschi. The Aga Khan is supporting the performances, which will also happen Wednesday and Thursday evenings in Washington DC, then in Texas, New Mexico, and Ohio.

Utah Valley State College is holding a conference on Central Asia on Friday with several ambassadors and Frederick Starr moderating. Baktybek Abdrisaev, the former Kyrgyz ambassasdor to the US is teaching at UVSC right now (since he found himself a bit out of favor after Akaev was kicked out).

Saudi Aramco World has a good article on Turkmen food.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie HollisMarch 14, 2006

    Thank you so much for posting on the concert! My husband and I are in Texas for business and are going to try to secure tickets...only an hour and a half drive from Houston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog, I check in every day. I brag that I know a big cheese in a country whose name I can't pronounce and I think I'm more learned (although not more humble) for it. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie HollisMarch 27, 2006

    My husband and I took some friends to the concert last Friday and it was excellent! My husband will be going with me to Kyrgyzstan for the first time this summer and the exposure to the culture really made it feel more real for him. Thanks for posting the link.

    ReplyDelete