31 January 2006

Two Official Kyrgyz Plov Recipes

I still like mine better though.


Ingredients: rice 0.5 kg, meat 0.3 kg, carrots 0.3 kg, 0.2 liters of oil, 2 onions, spices (cumin seeds, basil, salt)

Instructions: (flame should be middle) Roast onions until they are dark, then add the meat and salt, continue frying, after 2-3 minutes add cut carrots and fry them for about 10 minutes. Pour 1 liter of water, boil it and put in the rice. Boil it until water evaporates. At this point, put in the spices and close the lid. Now make the flame very low and wait for 5 minutes. Turn off the stove and wait 5-10 minutes. Now it's ready to eat. You can also decorate plov with parsley and dill.



Ingredients:
Lamb (posteriors and shoulder) with fat 1.5 kg
Onions 800 gr.
Carrots 700 gr.
Chinese rice 1 kg.
Oil 150 gr
Salt 50 gr
One piece of garlic
Raisin 100 gr
Peas 100 gr.
Pepper, kinza, cumin seeds


A bowl with peas fill with hot water, leave for several hours, cut onions into small cubes, meat into pieces of 30-40 grams, chop carrots. Clean rice, wash in cold water. Put 150 grams of oil to kazan, get it hot, put onions, fry until it becomes of gold color. Then put meat and fry, add peas and spices (pepper, cumin seeds, kinza), don’t add salt. Stew it on middle fire for 30 minutes. Then onto meat layer carrots, rice (together with raisins), add hot water (in which 50 grams of salt was put) so that water will be 1 centimeter over rice and put a bulb of garlic in the center. Make fire strong, when water goes under level of rice (5-10 minutes) make fire the minimum, close kazan with a lid (wrapped with a towel). Leave it for 30 minutes, then turn off fire and leave plov for more 15-20 minutes

(Just copied and pasted, so I'm not responsible for the wording or the flavor :))

3 comments:

  1. Basil? Weird.

    I typically use lots of cumin (been using my black cumin from Kyrgyzstan of late), salt, and maybe some chili powder. However, a friend from Bukhara brought me a big jar of what she's calling "plov spices." She doesn't know what's in it, but I know there's quite a bit besides cumin in it. I'm interested to try it out this weekend. (I've been asked to make plov for a superbowl party.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried it with basil because that sounds weird to me too. I think this recipe was from one of the FSNs at the US Embassy. If you figure out what is in the "plov spices," let me know.

    Actually, in Kyrgyzstan were were almost always served plov without spices at all. Just onions, carrots, rice, oil, and a bit of salt. And meat, of course. I always wished for at least some cumin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that when Amira-opa refers to 'peas' there is probably a mistranslation. In my experience Garbanzo beans, sometimes called chick-peas are used in osh (plov).

    ReplyDelete