30 December 2005

Funding Schools and Baby Houses

I was talking to a woman at the baby house yesterday who has been trying to adopt one of the babies for the last four months. They've run into more trouble than the other two families we know who have adopted from there.

She told me that one of the major roadblocks has been the administration of the baby house. Their funding is based on the number of children in the baby house so they don't want to let too many babies go. Or at least they prefer to have them adopted when they're older.

I've never been very impressed with this type of funding because it often leads to conflicts of interest. The same issue comes up with homeschoolers and US public schools. The schools don't want to lose children to homeschooling because their funding is based on the number of children at the school.

The trouble is that both the schools and the baby house are given more money per child than is actually spent on that child. It would obviously be far better for the individual child and the overall system to have the babies adopted. It often is better for a child to be homeschooled and certainly cheaper for the overall system. But the local administration has a financial interest in keeping that child in the school or the baby house and that often becomes the most important issue.

6 comments:

  1. Amira,
    My husband and I are considering adoption from Kyrgyzstan. Can you tell me how safe it would be for us as Americans to travel to Kyrgyzstan and bring home our child?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the State Department website makes Kyrgyzstan sound pretty scary, we've been very comfortable living here. We're out on the streets and in the busses every day.

    Safety would be one of the least of my concerns with adopting from here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's unfair to look at those cute little faces. I want to grab them. They are so bright-eyed. They must get better care than, say, Rumania.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yes, my babies are taken care of much better here than the awful stories you hear in Rumania.

    Sadly, though, Uzbekistan is even worse than some of the things I've heard in Rumania.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amira,
    My mother wishes to donate little newly knitted baby afghans for the orphanage. How would I go about that?
    Thanks DawnAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. DawnAnn,

    I know it would be wonderful to send blankets here for the babies, but they really just aren't needed. It would cost more to ship them here than I could buy them, and they don't want knitted blankets- I've checked.

    I've had many people ask if they could send things, but the only things this baby house needs are very basic clothes and diapers, both of which I can buy here. Since I don't have an APO and I can't use the pouch at the embassy for packages, there is no inexpensive way to ship things.

    Clothes and diapers are also easy for us to deliver straight to the babies so we can be sure they aren't sold or used for anything else. I know the clothes and diapers are used in the baby house because I see them.

    I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete