16 December 2005

China Travel

While there are many places in the world that I'd love to visit, China and Uzbekistan are two countries that I've wanted to go to for a very long time. And handily, Kyrgzstan is right in between the two.

It's even better because I want to go to western China. Every time I find out someone has been to China, I always ask how far west they went. Xi'an, where the terra cotta soldiers are, is about the farthest west anyone I know has gone.

But that's as far east as I want to go. I've always wanted to go to western China, to see the cities along the Silk Road and the Great Wall of China. Sure, you can see the Great Wall near Beijing, but that's where everyone goes. I'd like to go to some of the other sections that are further west. They're not like some of the eastern sections that you usually see pictures of, but there is no typical section of the Great Wall.

Here's our current plan for a trip to China: Bishkek-Xi'an-Jiayuguan-Dunhuang-Turpan-Urumqi-Bishkek. Now we just need visas and plane tickets. We'll do Kashgar on a shorter trip another time.

I would love to cruise through the Three Gorges though. They sounded amazing since I first read about them, and they'll be drowned in a few years by a new dam that is being built. And, of course, I'd love to see geysers in Tibet.

1 comment:

  1. It is strange that after the first time I saw your blog, I would like to see it again to find out some new informations. For your China trip, I want to say that Three Gorges is really worth to visit. As I have been working there, I always miss the Three Gorgrs dam when the days in Oxford. Hope you can have good time in China!

    ReplyDelete