15 October 2005


We had our fifth group of Ramadan singers stop by tonight. Apparently word has spread that we give a lot of money. A teenage boy in the US wouldn't be impressed with a quarter, but these boys are more than pleased to get the Kyrgyz equivalent of 10 som.

They always sing the same song and then bless us after we give them some money. I rather like it. I'm going to start asking people for more details on what they are singing, since the boys can't ever tell us much since they don't speak enough English.

IWPR had an article two years ago about this tradition in Uzbekistan. It also gives a bit of the history behind the tradition.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Ramadan carolling. I'll have to ask my hubby what he knows. There is an tablique group of senior citizen Ungurks (missionary study group)staying in my neighborhood. They look sooo cute with their whispy little beards, almond eyes and white prayer caps... so very out of place here in the UAE. I'll ask hubby to ask them since they pray at the same mosjid. Maybe they will Ramadan Carol us!!! I sing a little Ramamdan carol in my house when I'm baking gingerbread for break-fast."Ramadan is coming, the goose is getting fat, Please put a penny in the old man's hat." It works for me. ;)

    Ramadan Kareem from my house to yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ramadan Kareem, Carol. I love your Ramadan song.

    We've asked, but it doesn't sound like there is a traditional Ramadan greeting here. And they call it Orozo instead. Maybe I can make up my own greeting. Yakhshi Orozo ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amira~

    I think that is very neat. I should like to hear the singing. What fun. Do girls sing too?

    Thank you for the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've never had girls stop by, but the article I linked to refers to children instead of boys, so maybe girls do it too in some places. Like I said, I'm going to start asking around.

    ReplyDelete