30 October 2005


Today we visted the Ala Archa cemetery on the west side of Bishkek. Some friends of ours took us; one also had some relatives buried there. Many famous Kyrgyz are buried here with elaborate markers, as you can see in this picture.

Kyrgyz used to know their ancestors back seven generations. But most of that was forgotten with the Soviets, and since records weren't kept during the Soviet years, very little is known now about most people's ancestors. The best our friends have been able to do is learn the names of a few of their great-grandparents.

There are several other cemeteries around town; I'm hoping to be able to visit those too. Cemeteries are quite interesting here in Kyrgyzstan.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Amira, this has been a wonderful "set" on cemetaries. I love going to them also. It is interesting to me how we, in all cultures perhaps, remember to go back a set number of generations, and then we're done with remembering or feeling. I have never figured that one out.

    I wonder what happens to those unmarked, unnamed, unremembered folk without record -and family now? How does it all work? How does one perform ordinance work for those unremembered?

    There are so many symbols in this series of photos and words for me to think upon. It begs me to ponder and consider eternity and value of family. Also to be thankful for a God that allows me to gather up my lost and their lost and bring us all back together.

    Whew! Thanks again Amira.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting, but one of my favorite times in Russia was visiting a cemetary. The head stones were works of art, all different, and so many stories behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to learn more!

    Thanks Amira!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often wonder about that too s'mee. Almost everyone who has lived has been forgottten. I'll be interested to see how we end up doing their temple work.

    ReplyDelete