17 October 2005

Laghman

I made laghman at home last night. It's basically noodles with vegetables. Here's how I made it:

Cook as many thick noodles as you think you'll need. They use homemade noodles that are about a half a meter long here, so you've got plenty of options. I used the thickest dried noodles I could find.

Saute 2 onions in olive oil till soft, then add 6 sliced bell peppers and a few chopped cloves of garlic. Add as much salt and crushed red pepper as you like and let the whole thing simmer till the pepper start letting off some juice. Add a bit of water so there's some liquid with the vegetables.

After draining the noodles, saute them in a bit of oil (getting them crunchy is best if you have time) and serve with the peppers over the top.

4 comments:

MJ said...

I have got to try some of these recipes. It's good to shake things up in the kitchen and get back to simple cooking now and then. I salivate when I read here.

Anthony Bourdain has a show on the Travel Channel. I think next week's (or the week after) episode is on the foods and his travel experiences in Uzbekistan. I have a primitive *sigh* kitchen - so I should be able to work in many of the ideas.

Amira said...

Ooh, I'd love to see the show on Uzbekistan. Don't miss it!

ambar said...

I am so trying this reicpe! Thank you sooo much for posting it!

Amira said...

This recipe is just one I made up. If you want a more offical link, try the one here:
http://amiralace.blogspot.com/2005/12/laghman.html

I hope you like it.