05 October 2005

я живу в бишкеке

я живу в бишкеке

I figured out how to type in Cyrillic today. Handy for telling your parents what street you live on so they can find it on the Russian map. I think I typed the sentence above correctly.

I'm still trying to figure out if/how Russian is spoken differently here. Our (Kyrgyz) Russian teacher certainly isn't as picky about case endings and word order as the Russian CDs we've been listening too.

I want to know if the Russian we're learning makes us sound like hicks. When we studied Arabic, we focused on colloquial Arabic, specifically Egyptian and Palestinian. While it's great for chatting with Egyptians and Palestinians, it's not very helpful in more formal situations. But it wasn't worth really studying the more formal Arabic, because we were there to chat with Palestinians. Standard Arabic wouldn't have been right in many situations.

I wonder if we're getting into the same situation here and if our Russian won't be quite right if we went to Odessa or Moscow.

4 comments:

  1. Ya sheevoo, tozhe, Amira! I really loved it and I wish I could use it and improve it.

    I wouldn't want to live overseas to find out, but I'm grateful for your sharing.

    How's the medical care there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we just don't plan on getting sick here. We do know some doctors here, so we'd be okay for small things, but it's much better to just stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! Pronunciation is the key! I wouldn't know where to begin with slavic languages. (if this is even slavic)

    Kind of reminds me of getting a call from my youngest and her complaining about the "accent" people use in Idaho and the difficulty in decifering what it is they're saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyrgyz is actually Turkic. It's related to Uzbek, Uyghur, Kazakh, Turkmen, Azerbaijaini, and Turkish.

    You really don't hear so many real Idaho accents any more. Our Stake President had one and I loved to listen to him.

    ReplyDelete