23 September 2005

Plov, Or Something Like It

We're getting better at cooking at home. I've come up with my own version of the local rice dish (actually this is more Uzbek, but we're not too picky right now). It's called plov. This isn't really plov though, because I use olive oil and not enough of it. So there.

Saute two chopped onions (mine aren't really big) in a bit of olive oil for a couple minutes, but not till soft. Just get it warm. Then add two cups of rice. (I use something called Batken rice, but I bet you don't have that. Use whatever you can. Basmati would be good.) Stir the onions and rice till the rice is coated with oil, then add about 3 -3.5 cups of boiling water. Turn the heat down and simmer till the water is just gone. As soon as the water is gone (the rice won't be fully cooked), tuck a bunch of unpeeled garlic cloves down into the rice. I use a whole head. Cover the rice with lots of crushed red pepper, cumin, and some salt. And I mean lots of cumin and as much red pepper as your family will eat. Use the handle of a spoon to make some holes in the rice down to the bottom of the pot. Pour a bit more olive oil over the top, cover, and turn the heat as low as it will go. If you have an electric stove, you might want to set the pot on top of a pair of tongs so the bottom doesn't burn. Let the rice steam till the garlic is cooked. If you get worried, you can add more water. The goal is to have a nice brown crunchy shell on the bottom. It'll take at least 30 minutes. Stir it all up when you're done and enjoy. Pop the garlic out of its skin to enjoy it.

Yum.

1 comment:

  1. While not a huge fan of onions, I love rice and cumin. I will definitely give this a try and see how it is received here. thank you for the recipe Amira.

    ReplyDelete