06 September 2005

Kyrgyz Russian

Just watched Old Faithful erupt. :)

I think we are going to learn a somewhat unique variety of Russian here in Kyrgyzstan. Just as English is different in Idaho, Georgia, and England, there are obviously differences within Russian since it has been imposed on such a variety of people.

A Ukrainian friend of ours would often comment on the interesting Russian that Armenians would speak. Russian here has a bit of Kyrgyz mixed in. For example, I don't hear "odin," the Russian word for "one" much, but I do hear "bir" quite often.

It appears that the stress is sometimes different from what I've heard on my "educated" Russian CDs. I'm trying to get the hang of stressing the second to last syllable. It's also tricky to change the way I pronounce some Turkic words and names borrowed from Arabic. It took us a long time to say Fa-TI-ma instead of FA-ti-ma, like we were used to in the Middle East.

I've tried to find any research done on Russian in Central Asia, but everything I've found has been on Russia itself or the eastern Europe former republics. Maybe the differences aren't very great.

3 comments:

s'mee said...

This is so interesting! Thanks so much Amira!

It also reminds me of when I was (ASL) signing at a party and someone asked if I lived in Simi Valley So CAL,because I was in her opinion, signing like a "valley girl". I have also been accused of picking up a southern drawl as well...When in Rome!

Amira said...

I've never heard of signing accents. I'll ask my sister about that. Or maybe she'll actually comment, since she read this. You think you will, next-oldest sister?

annegb said...

Keep it up Amira, this is really interesting.