05 September 2005

Groceries

I went grocery shopping today. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but here it's a little trickier.

First, you need to steel your children for the job. It's a bit of a walk, especially carrying all your food. And they need to stick with you since the roads are a bit crazy and you'll be crossing some without lights. Little boys do not like to walk next to their mother.

Second, you need to be prepared to carry everything you buy. It's wise to bring along a few strong bags (I'm beginning to understand all the shopping bags on the plane) so you'll have a chance of getting most of your food hoping without dumping it on the sidewalk.

Then you need to plan your attack. If you have large bills from the bank, you need to pick a store that will possibly have change for the equivalent of a 10 dollar bill. People don't like to give out all their small bills. But I still haven't figured out how everyone else seems to have exact change.

Do remember that your children will get hungry halfway through no matter how recently you fed them. And that going around noon is folly, since the streets are rather crowded.

But we all survived and I came home with flatbread, Ramen noodles, cheese, pasta, airan, juice, kefir, and samsas. I really was rather proud of myself and it took less than two hours. And just think, I can only get better at it.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

I remember how it was shopping in Germany. No big trips (the fridge was too small) and we had to walk and carry what we could back. I got a good, strong backpack, which worked great for everything that wasn't squishable. :)

Makes you realize how BIG everything is back here in the states and how lazy we all are.

Mary A said...

Amira, I am so enjoying your posts. I can picture it in my mind. What a great adventure!

Amira said...

I imagine that many people living overseas have experienced the same thing.

I'm considering a backpack (although one would be hard to find here) even though absolutely no one here uses one. I think we already stick out though. :)

Lisa M. said...

Oh Amira, You are indeed a trend setter. Go for it.

*smile*

Rachel said...

Wow -- congragulations on achieving this mundane but difficult task!

I saw this post about eating loam in Kyrgyzstan and thought of you... :-)

Amira said...

Maybe I should have brought a stock of vitamins to hand out in Naryn. That was an interesting article.