06 September 2005

Confused Religion Reporting

Articles about "incomer" Christianity pop up relatively often on Central Asian newsites. I was thinking about writing about this today anyway, but then the Jehovah's Witnesses showed up at my door. Not what I was expecting, although it shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did.

Anyway, it's interesting to see the differences between different groups of proselytizing Christians. The articles I've seen from Central Asia about these Christians often get a lot of the details wrong. This one implies that Utah has a foreign policy(?) and that Utah government and Mormon leadership is the same (some in the US would agree, no doubt).

The President of Uzbekistan seems a bit confused too:

At a May 17 press conference Uzbekistan's President Islam Karimov said that many insurgents slipped into Kyrgyzstan along with civilians. Karimov suggested that the Uzbek border guards in Karasuu did not halt the flow of people in recent days in order to avoid human casualties, "Since women, children, and elders were among them." He also is careful of the terminology used for the Uzbeks entering Kyrgyzstan: "I don't consider them refugees. On what basis do they call themselves like that? Is it some kind of a sect, some Mormons in the state of Utah?"

Heavens, even the US State Department (search for "Mormons") is confused. Apparently there are 10,200 Mormons here in Kyrgyzstan and we've been legally recognized for years. I think we're getting confused with the Pentecostal Church of Jesus Christ.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your Blog! I know I will be back to read more. My website is just starting to come together: Site

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amira, you illustrate well the importance of listening and following the simple rules of participating in church activities when in a foreign land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many Thanks for your nice blog. I will come back.
    I wanted just to mention an interesting site about Religions. With more than 500 pages, Religion News and Articles:Religion Universe: Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Taoism (Daoism) and many others

    ReplyDelete