17 August 2005

Title Goes Here

I very much like chronicler's post about food waste. She says at the end, "I cannot go to Niger," referring to her inability to do much to alleviate the suffering there.

I've made statements like this before, but I wonder what they really mean. What could I do if I went to Niger? What could I have done in Indonesia? What can I do in Kyrgyzstan or in the United States?

Donating money is always a good option, and I'm satisfied with the amount we are able to donate. But still, that seems too simple. I don't feel like I'm really doing anything. I teach my children about the realities of life in other parts of the world, but, important as education is, it doesn't really change anything.

I know I should be satisfied with the little we are able to do and keep in mind that I can't fix food my older son likes, much less trying to solve the food problems of the world. But it would be nice if there were something we could quietly do in Kyrgyzstan to help, if only a little.

3 comments:

chronicler said...

You know Amira, I've thought and thought about what we can do. If I were go to Niger I would have to first understand the problem. It would be important to know the hows and why and especially understand the culture. It is presumptuous for us to think I could go over and begin teaching them about water systems or any random learning tool.

What I can do here. I can learn about the basics of life. Homemaking skills. Farming skills. Mechanical skills. All the kinds of things that make life sustainable. I may not ever have to be a farmer, but I'd like to think that I could teach someone if I were asked. I wouldn't know what to do with a boll of cotton if someone handed me a bushel full. Those are the kinds of things that our modern world have made unnecessary. Not everyone lives in a modern world though.

I can also teach my children and grandchildren to be mindful of their consumption. I can lead by example.

Lisa M. said...

One of E's therapists just got back from a trip to Lithuanina. We saw her last night for the first time since her visit.

Niger didn't come up, but her desire to want to take her relatives, embrace them and bring them here for a "better" life... was almost over powering to her. After she expressed her frustrations at their attemps at "hand" farming, and their constant struggles to make a living. She commented on, how happy they were. How grateful, how humble and how loving they were. In a round of thought, she said, maybe they know something I don't know. She then expressed her horror of their 2006, upcoming change of monitary currancy to the Euro. And once again, of how devistating that will be to their country.

This conversation, reminded me of our thoughts here, on Niger. I do think you have a good point, Chronicler. WE can take the inititive to teach ours, about conservation, as well as being grateful for what we have. We can keep open minds about other ways of life, and we can prepare and educate ourselves.

I have the belief and knowledge that the powers that be, which in my opinion are a great determining factor in most of these horrific situations, will recieve their just dues for the conditions in which they allow their people to be in.

callieischatty said...

If I see someone I help them. I give a dollar to everyone who asks me no matter what. If the person is old and looks in need I give more.

We are all here to help one another.

I give some money to charities but I prefer to do it one on one.