15 August 2005

Meeting Together Oft

Originally posted at Conversation

We in the Church of Jesus Christ place a high emphasis on meeting together often. I know of few other sects and religions that ask for so much association. But why is this?

And they did meet together oft to partake of bread and wine, in remembrance of the Lord Jesus Christ. ~Moroni 6:6

Of course this is the most important reason for meeting together- or is it? A group setting is not required to partake of the Sacrament- only one worthy Priesthood holder. Is the Sacrament itself more valuable if we take it with others around us? I don't think so. I think there might be other reasons why we emphasize meeting together often.

And the church did meet together oft, to fast and to pray, and to speak one with another concerning the welfare of their souls. ~Moroni 6:5

Does this come closer? What does it mean to speak with each other concerning the welfare of our souls? How do we do this?

I have appreciated meeting together often more when I have lived in places where my neighbors were not members of the LDS Church. Meeting together on Sundays became more important to me when that was the only chance I had to meet with my fellow Saints. We needed each other.

And of course meetings are not the only ways to strengthen each other. I have had my soul strengthened recently by people outside my assigned ward. Danithew's Book of Mormon blog, Russell Arben Fox's beautiful post, and the women of Conversation have all encouraged me. I was able to meet with five of the women who blog here and I was strengthened by their faith, patience, calmness, optimism, and courage. I am glad that I will have this association while I am far from any Relief Society sisters.

I look forward to gaining perspective on "meeting together oft" while we are in Kyrgyzstan. Even though we will not be able to meet with the other members there in a religious setting, I hope to learn more about why it is important to meet together.

No comments:

Post a Comment