20 August 2005

Books

It is getting difficult to pass up the many interesting books that have come out recently. I can't just go to the library and check them out. Right now I'm gathering my final collection of books. I'm counting on being able to pick up classics in English, but I'm not sure there will be much else available (at least that I care to read).

I've picked up a few cheap paperbacks that I've been meaning to read for a long time (Middlemarch, the real Little Women, Crime and Punishment) so I won't have any excuse not to read them, but I really don't have much.

What are some excellent books you've read that would be worth taking halfway around the world to read? Any type- I know I won't be picky there.

5 comments:

annegb said...

Oh, that is so sad. I would take Les Miserables, because it's so many stories in one. I would have to have Walt Whitman, maybe Spoon River Anthology. But you can get mail there, you could join a book club?

Julie M. Smith said...

The new David O. McKay book is the best book I've read this year.

I also have very high hopes for Rough Stone Rolling, which will be out in another month.

Amira said...

I've never read the unabridged Les Miserables. That would be a good one. I've got some poetry to take, including Whitman.

Mail is a little iffy there. I can't really count on anything arriving. I don't mind some things getting lost in the mail, but a new hardback and the accompanying shipping charges would be a bit much to lose.

Julie, the new David O. McKay book is a excellent suggestion. I'll go back through your other reviews to get some more ideas. Thanks!

chronicler said...

Amira, I finally came across a book that might interest you (and me too!):

The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York" by Claudia Roden. It looks very interesting as she explores not only food but has put together a history of Jewish dispora through food (Amamzon's words). You may be able to find it in a used book store around Orem. It is probably too late for you to order it from Amazon or Alibris.

Amira said...

chronicler, thank you. I've actually been enjoying this book for several years. Some of our favorite recipes come from here. And it really is a fascinating book. I love cookbooks that tell about the author's travels and about history along with the recipes.

I'm sure you'll love this cookbook.