02 June 2005

Geyser Wraps

I call them this since I always take them to Yellowstone. I love wraps, but after buying tortillas, lunch meat, cream cheese, and jack or mozzarella cheese, they get a little pricey. Here's my less expensive version to make 8 wraps:

Homemade tortillas:

2 cups flour (white or wheat, but white is easier to roll out)
2 tsp salt
2 T oil
1/2 -3/4 c warm water

The salt and oil can be adjusted as desired. Mix salt and flour, then add oil and enough water to make a soft but not too sticky dough. Knead for a minute or two, then let rest for 30 minutes. Divide into 8 equal pieces and roll out. Fry over medium to medium high heat till lightly browned on both sides.


Homemade wrap spread:

2 cups plain (preferable homemade) yogurt
Sliced green onions
Minced garlic
Crushed red peppers
Herbs and other seasonings as desired
Salt

Drain* the yogurt overnight till it is thick (it'll be about a cup). Mix in other flavorings as desired.

Spread the yogurt mixture on the tortillas and top with thinly sliced lunch meat, grated cheese, and spinach.

I like wraps because they aren't as messy as sandwiches and taste good for several days. They keep well.

*To drain yogurt, line a strainer with clean cheesecloth or muslin, or just some loosely woven fabric. Put the yogurt in the strainer and let sit in the sink, or place the strainer over a bowl to save the whey. I've never worried about draining it in the fridge.

6 comments:

  1. Amira--

    I hope you will accept this comment in the friendly spirit it is intended. It is not meant to be critical, mean, or anything of that sort.

    I can buy a dozen whole wheat tortillas for about 1.30. I can buy an entire brick of cream cheese (probably wouldn't use it all for this recipe) for about 80 cents.

    I am not exactly sure what your way would cost, perhaps in the neighborhood of 50 cents. I imagine your method would involve about 45 minutes worth of work. So to save 1.60, you are working for 3/4 hour.

    Now if you enjoy cooking from scratch, that's one thing. But as a money-saving mechanism, I just don't get it. The meat and cheese are still fairly expensive, so if you *really* wanted a cheap lunch, you should probably go in the direction of pasta salad or a vegetable and hummus wrap or something.

    Again, I'm not trying to be mean. I just notice that many homeschoolers seem to put quite a bit of effort into saving a very small amount of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see your point, and I'm certainly not offended.

    I know that a lot of people wouldn't be interested in making wraps this way. But the post at WTM specifically asked for cheap meals.

    A container of flavored cream cheese and a dozen tortillas would cost about 5 dollars in my town. I get cheese for 2 dollars a pound and use at most a half a pound for these wraps. I might spend 3 dollars on a half pound of lunch meat. The total would be 8.50.

    But lunch usually costs less than a dollar per day for my entire family, so 8.50 seems relatively high. If I do the spread and tortillas myself, I save almost 5 dollars, since making the spread and tortillas costs about 20 cents. And if I keep going to Yellowstone every weekend, that adds up to one or two neat things we can buy at the gift shop. It's worth it to me especially since I prefer homemade tortillas.

    It also takes less time to make the spread and fry the tortillas than it does to go to the store to buy them. And I'm not tempted to buy anything extra.

    I don't find cooking from scratch to me very time-consuming in general. It might take 5 hours to have six loaves of bread finished, but I really only spent 10 minutes actually working on the dough.

    But if you really want to know (since I'm sure you're just dying to know), the main reason I cook from scratch is because I think it's healthier, simpler, and it uses up the food storage. Rotation is not a problem at this house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound really good Amira. I would have to exchange the yogurt for gottage cheese but other than that i'll give them a try! The cottage cheese is treated the same way as the yogurt, drained until almost all the whey is expelled then creamed so it's spreadable. Good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. chronicler, I have never thought of draining cottage cheese! I make my own, so that would be easy to do. And it would have a much milder flavor than drained yogurt.

    Thanks for the great idea. It's nice to have friends who know what to do with food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The milder flavor is exactly why I use it. I can hardly eat cream cheese, much less yogurt. It's wierd thing though because I love love love goat cheese. wierd. I'm glad i could impart a little something, thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete