05 May 2005

Whipbirds

My mother sent me a link to this site with some Australian bird calls. I've heard kookaburras before, but the female Whipbird has quite the call. Click on the green circle below the picture. There are links to other Australian birds.

I'll probably wander back here tomorrow night; I'm off to Yellowstone tomorrow for a belated birthday present. My husband is in charge of the boys while I run around.

Here's another geyser photo to inspire you to visit Yellowstone (again) someday:

6 comments:

  1. There's a song I used sing as a child:

    Kookabura sits in the old gum tree,
    Counting all the gumdrops he can see,
    Laugh Kookabura,
    Laugh Kookabura,
    Gay your life must be.

    I can't hear the name kookabura or look at a picture of them without singing the song. My family thinks I'm silly. Amira, you've given me my song of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY HECK! Chronicler I thought of the same thing for the exact same reason!

    p.s. you owe me a coke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just sitting here resinging in my head...
    merry merry king of the bush is he...
    (also made me think of those silly peacock calls they always put in jungle movies...hey aaawww hey aaaww)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe we should put all the lyrics up for Amira!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was trying to avoid this song. :) I should have known it would be impossible to mention kookaburras without someone launching into it.

    So, what verses do you like?

    I personally rather like:

    Kookaburra sits on the electric wire
    Better watch out or you'll catch on fire
    Ouch! Kookaburra, Ouch! Kookaburra
    Sore your tail must be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!

    Awe Amira, it's a favorite of mine!

    Infact I found a website that even has the tune and all the lyrics!

    Kookaburra Song

    ReplyDelete