01 June 2005

"Strengthening Future Mothers"

There is an interesting discussion of an Ensign article over at T&S. I was already planning on writing about this myself when Julie expressed nearly exactly what I felt.

I think the graphics that are presented with an article are important- there are many people who read an article only if the pictures make it look appealing, or they only look at the pictures to get an idea of what the article said. If you look at the photos from "Strengthening Future Mothers," you would think that it is simply a matter of mothers teaching their daughters to sew on buttons, cook, quilt, iron, arrange flowers, and shop for groceries.

Certainly these are useful and practical skills. I personally love to quilt, crochet, cook, arrange flowers, garden, spin, twine rugs, and more. But I only learned one of these skills from my mother. Most the rest I've taken up since my marriage because I thought they were interesting or I learned from my father. I didn't learn any of them at church or in any church-related setting.

These are also not skills that are exclusive to motherhood. It's helpful for anyone to learn how to cook. My husband finally realized this about two years ago and has made great strides in this area. ;) In fact, there are few skills that are exclusive to motherhood- and you can't practice childbirth before it happens!

I think Sister Tanner's points were more focused (though not exclusively- there was one point specifically about motherhood) on strengthening future women. How I wish that this was more emphasized. The tools young women need to become good women whether they are mothers, teachers, workers, student, or leaders are the same- faith, courage, the ability to think and work hard, patience, love, and more. We can prepare young women for a variety of worthwhile roles without demeaning any one of those roles.

1 comment:

  1. You wrote about it quite well, why don't you write the Ensign? They might not print it, but they might also take note, because you took a reasonable tone and expressed your point very well.

    ReplyDelete