10 May 2005

Packing Up the Books

I've been going through my books to get them boxed up and ready to store. A lot of them have been in boxes in the garage because there simply isn't room in the house (despite the bookcases in every room, including the kitchen).

I wish I had time to read them all again before we leave. There were very old friends- The Witch of Blackbird Pond, The Search for Delicious, From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler- that I first read almost 20 years ago. Then there are old, but not quite as old as the first group, friends like Tisha, A Town Like Alice, and the Lacemaker. I read these and more over and over as a teenager. There were some that were discovered in high school- The Prince, Jane Eyre, A Tale of Two Cities (I have to admit that this is the only Dickens I've ever really enjoyed), and Wuthering Heights. Some are from college: Palace Walk, Wanderings, and Understanding Islam. And finally, there are some that I've read since we've been married- Persuasion, The Grapes of Wrath, and House of Mirth.

You always have to leave things behind when you move. You can email people, store your blender for when you'll need it again, or take advantage of the opportunity to declutter. But there is nothing like having those books- those friends- on hand. They will be missed.

6 comments:

  1. Add a really scented Bounce dryer pad to each of those book boxes - it will cut down on the musty smell when they are re-opened. Don't lose sight that you can download audio and e-books onto your computer or handheld. Even though it's nice to hold a book and turn pages - what you lose in the real experience will be regained with real experiences had through your move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip abouy the dryer sheets. I'll have to pick some up for that very purpose.

    And thanks for your reminder. I am sure that once everything is packed and stored that I'll feel better. I'm just having a hard time right now with getting rid of some things that it's not reasonable to keep anymore and storing other things I wish I could take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reared in a home where the Nazi book burnings were held in high disgust and the purchasing of a new book was a priviledge. There were ceremonies for "breaking" in a new book, storing it, and even for retrieving it from it's place on the shelf. A book was a treasure and never thrown away. Because of this upbringing, I have SO many books I feel like a librarian at times! I can't bring myself to give any of them away. Long story short, I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books are old friends, aren't they?! I have something of a library myself, so I can totally sympathize. Just remember--it's temporary and you'll have a grand reunion in the future! And I do have to store some of my books even though I'm not going anywhere--I have that many!--so I appreciate the tip about the dryer sheets, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My books are my most precious possession. I love Jane Eyre and Steinbeck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Emotional Intelligence is a very good book.

    ReplyDelete