09 May 2005

A History of Inner Asia

I've mentioned before that I'm looking for a readable, accurate, and comprehensive history of Central Asia. I haven't found it yet, but I have found a book that covers Central Asia from the Islamic expansion till now. A History of Inner Asia by Svat Soucek was first published in 2000.

I haven't had a chance to read all of it (and I won't before it's due, since it's an ILL), but the introduction alone impressed me enough to order it. It has quite a bit of information about different parts of Central Asia (also covering Mongolia and western China) and is interesting and not at all dry.

I can't imagine that there are many people interested in this kind of thing, but if you happen to be, try this book. I also have a book on the Central Asia before Islam, but I'm not quite as convinced about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment