24 April 2005

Singing in Church

We're singing in church today. This is the second we've been asked to do this. We are not a particularly musical family. I play the piano passably- well enough for a New Jersey ward but not for an Idaho ward. However, my piano playing is better than my singing, so I muddle through accompanying my husband and the boys. My husband, D, was in the Mormon Youth Chorus (back when there was one) on a fluke and has no thoughts of being a great singer. (He is good, but not what you usually hear in Sacrament Meeting.)

So we rely on the boys to get us through. They both love to sing and people don't expect little boys to be particularly in tune. They are enthusiastic and happy. Too bad they can't just sing a capella by themselves. D and I do our best to lay low.

Of course, we won't have to do this in Kyrgyzstan since we can't meet for Church with anyone else. It will be interesting to see what we miss and what we're glad to not have to worry about for a while. We were talking with the boys about some things we might miss and one said meetings. It didn't take long to decide that we wouldn't miss meetings. :)

7 comments:

s'mee said...

I have been known to sing solo at times... so lo you can't hear!

Aimee said...

Oh boy! I do not envy you. I don't sing at all, at least not in public. If they ever asked me to sing in church I would say no way! ;) I bet you did just fine though.

Bryce said...

I don't have a great voice (it's not terrible either), but I am often asked to be a part of musical numbers at church because a) I like to sing, b) I can sightsing reasonably well, c) I can play the piano well enough to get through most practice sessions, and d) people have seen me sing in public before, so they figure I must be ok.

I'm hoping my kids will be a full SATB quartet.

Amira said...

The singing went fine. The boys sang well and they did "I Am a Child of God" in Arabic which adds a little interest. And no one noticed that the accompaniast wasn't quite as good as one might have hoped.

MJ said...

I just have to ask if any Presidency letters were read last Sunday...

We're the lone hs'ers in our Ward (and possibly Stake). I'd never think to ask about building use. It seems absurd. I think I'll bring a paper bag to wear when the letter is read here.

I just had a thought...watch, it will be read at the upcoming Stake Conference when everyone is there...(heavy sigh).

MJ said...

Oh, and I would have enjoyed hearing I AM A CHILD OF GOD in Arabic. I'm a passable piano player too, but it's one talent I'm keeping under wraps as long as possible.

Amira said...

They didn't read the letter here. It really seems that they don't read most letters over the pulpit. Maybe only certain stakes or wards decided to read it if they have a lot of homeschoolers. There certainly aren't enough here to make it a big issue.