27 February 2005

Timpanogos

I grew up next to the Wasatch Mountains in Utah. I never realized how lucky I was to live so close to the mountains till we moved away from them. There really aren't very many places in the US that have tall mountains right next to fairly large cities. I am glad we can see the Tetons from our house now, but they are still over an hour away and it's nothing like I had when I was growing up.

John Muir had a lot to say about mountains:

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into
you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into
you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.


And:
One day's exposure to mountains is better than cartloads of books. See how
willingly Nature poses herself upon photographers' plates. No earthly chemicals
are so sensitive as those of the human soul.

I think that last one went a bit too far. How about a cartload of books in the mountains instead?

My two favorite mountains are Timpanogos and Cascade. This shot is pretty much (it's taken from too far south) what I would see every day from our kitchen. Here's one more, except we didn't have a tractor or geese. :)

Mountains- real mountains, make me feel at home. I love the ocean. I green rolling hills. I love the beautiful forests in the eastern US. But I need the mountains. Kyrgyzstan has 3 peaks over 20,000 feet. I think I would like it there.

One more from John Muir:
Oh, these vast, calm, measureless mountain days, inciting at once to work and
rest! Days in whose light everything seems equally divine, opening a thousand
windows to show us God. Nevermore, however weary, should one faint by the way
who gains the blessings of one mountain day; whatever his fate, long life, short
life, stormy or calm, he is rich forever.

We had a mountain day today.

1 comment:

Aimee said...

Oh the joy of living in Utah County! :) I can see mountains from all of our windows, although our back windows face Utah Lake, so we barely see those.

That is great that there are high mountains where you may be going. In Kazan they were confused when we talked about mountains, and we had to show them photos. When some of them came to visit us in Utah they finally understood.

I don't think I could live somewhere without mountains.