24 February 2005

Susan Cooper and Julie Andrews Edwards

Again, not at all related. I enjoyed all of these.

Over Sea, Under Stone- The true beginning of the series, even though it is usually listed as The Dark is Rising series. Simon, Jane and Barney are all introduced. My sister especially enjoyed these books. She would quote the poems from them often.

The Dark is Rising- We meet Will in this book. Not my favorite of the series, but still good.

Greenwitch- I think this is my favorite book of the series. I loved the focus on the Greenwitch.

The Grey King- Bran makes his first appearance in his book. I loved the Welsh setting.

Silver on the Tree- Final book of the series. I thought the end where everyone had to make their individual decisions was the most powerful part of the series.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles- This is another beloved book from my childhood. Three siblings and an older professor go to Whangdoodleland. Recommended.

Mandy- The story of a young orphan who needs a place of her own. Recommended.

2 comments:

  1. Susan Cooper has a wonderful Christmas book, Danny and the Kings about a poor boy who tries to get a Christmas tree for his brother. He is helped by three truckers who operate the Three Kings moving company. A simple and elegantly told story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try this one. I do like Susan Cooper's writing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete