24 February 2005

Some Classics

If you're working through the Well-Educated Mind, you'll recognize many of these from its lists.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde- MFS recommended this one and I liked it very much. Like I said, I'm not very good at reviewing books, but I will say that I also recommend it.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad- I listened to this one on tape about a year ago. I thought it was a very good book.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- I've read this one several times, and I like it more each time. Definitely recommended.

House of Mirth by Edith Wharton- This was the first book by Edith Wharton I've read. I truly loved the book. Worth reading soon.

Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy- I loved this book. Highly recommended. I also tried Tess of the d'Ubervilles, but I didn't like it as much.

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton- I didn't like this one as much as House of Mirth, probably because I didn't like the main characters quite as much. Still, it's good.

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flavery- Good book. It has been nice to read classics and rediscover fiction. I'd never stopped reading fiction, but I have had a hard time finding good fiction. Classics truly are worth reading.

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy- I wasn't as impressed with this book as many people are. It was too long (I don't have a problem with long books; this one simply seemed to run out of energy in the last 100 pages). However, it was certainly thought-provoking and worth reading.

Giants in the Earth by O.E. Rolvaag- I finally read this one all the way through a year or two ago. I had read parts of it before, but I decided to read the whole thing. I'm glad I did.

2 comments:

  1. I really like Thomas Hardy, Return of the Native in particular. I tried to get my wife to let me name one of our daughters Thomasin, but she wouldn't go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some of those books, well, I own them. I only buy the really good ones. Well, not all of them. But I wish. I love your quote about heaven being a library. I love books. I read Return of the Native just so I could say I had, but I enjoyed it, yeah.

    How fun to talk about books!

    ReplyDelete