21 February 2005

Lois Lowry

I hadn't realized I had read so many of her books till I searched Amazon. Some are definitely more worthwhile that others. There are also several more that I'd like to read. I didn't bother with the silly ones. As always, let me know if there are any more of her books you'd recommend.
The Giver- This is one of the best books I have read. Thought-provoking and insightful, it is not the typical government-controlling-everything story. The people choose to give up their freedoms in exchange for safety and security. Highly recommended.

Number the Stars- This is a good story about two Danish families during WWII. One is Jewish and one is Christian, and the Christian family helps the Jewish family escape when the Nazis try to round up the Jews. Very worthwhile to read, especially since all Europeans are often lumped together as being awful to the Jews during WWII. There are several books documenting the rescue of the Danish Jews. The only one I've read is A Conspiracy of Decency: The Rescue of the Danish Jews During World War II by Emmy E. Werner.

Gathering Blue- I didn't like this one quite as much as The Giver, but it was still very good.

Gooney Bird Greene- What a fun book. I say down and read this in the bookstore a year or two ago. I haven't read any of the others that follow it, but this one is a good one.

1 comment:

  1. My daughter and I read Number the Stars last year. I really recommend it for younger logic stage and older grammar stage. It gives you a sense of what happened to kids in the war, but this story had hope. I've read The Giver, but I'll have to give them a try. Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete