19 February 2005

E.L. Konigsburg

We're going to be having a book fest here for the rest of the month. I've been working on a lot of posts with short reviews of books I've read. I'm not particularly good at reviewing books, but I can at least tell you if I liked them and maybe a little bit about them. There will be a mix of children's books and adult books.

These are the books I've read and enjoyed by E.L. Konigsburg. I don't like all of them equally. I do like Konigsburg's style of writing. Her books are not like everyone else's. I haven't read some of her newest books yet.

The View from Saturday- This was a Newbery book a few years ago. It is the story of four very different children who work together to make good things happen. I suggested it for my book club in my last town and the women loved it. Highly recommended.

Throwing Shadows- Five short stories. All different, but somehow the same. Recommended.

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler- Also a Newbery (an author who gets two Newbery awards clearly is worth looking into). A sister and brother who run away and "hide out in" the Met. Excellent. I read this one many times as a child.

Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth- I also read this one many times as a child. Two girls who create an unusual friendship. Recommended.

The Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place- Good book about an atypical girl with much less than typical relatives. Fun to read. Not quite as good as some of her others, but certainly worth reading.

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver- This isn't my favorite Konigsburg, but it is still good. Eleanor of Aquitaine is waiting in heaven to be judged and remembers her life.

Father's Arcane Daughter- I wouldn't necessarily recommend this one unless you love Konigsburg and want to read many of them. Still, it is quite interesting, and I have enjoyed rereading it. Again, it's different.

3 comments:

  1. Amira,

    I've read Mixed up Files -- we all love it around here, but have yet to get around to her other books. Thanks for the prompt! (It also gave me an idea or two for when my book group meets on Tuesday...)

    At what age did you read Jennifer, et al. Would Megan (she's 8 1/2) enjoy it??

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored E.L. Konigsburg's books as a kid! Especially the From the Mixed-up Files... And the Jennifer, Hecate, ...and me Elizabeth one! I read them over and over. I was such a voracious reader in those days. But adult fiction just doesn't have the same attraction for me. I still am fascinated by children's literature, like Harry Potter and the Lemony Snicket books. I guess some of us never really grow up! LOL Thanks for evoking fond memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I know I read Jennifer... before I was 10. I think 8 or 9 would be good. I hope you like other Konigsburg books.

    Peggy, I still love children's fiction too- more than lots of adult fiction. I have a hard time finding really good, worthwhile adult fiction.

    ReplyDelete