20 February 2005

Chaim Potok

I have loved Chaim Potok's books for many years. Here are all the ones I've read. If there are others of his you would recommend, please let me know.

The Chosen- The story of two intelligent Jewish boys who learn to make their own decisions. Recommended highly.

The Promise- Continuation of The Chosen. Very good.

My Name is Asher Lev- A Jewish boy from an Ultra-Orthodox family who becomes an artist. Highly recommended.

The Gift of Asher Lev- Continuation of My Name is Asher Lev. I might like this even better than the first one.

I Am the Clay- Very interesting and thought-provoking book about a Korean couple who take care of a boy in the aftermath of war. Recommended.

Wanderings- This is a very readable history of the Jews. I read this for an Ancient Near Easterns Studies course in Jerusalem and very much enjoyed it. Perfect? Of course not. No history book can be. But recommended.

Old Men at Midnight- I hate to admit it, but I can't remember this book very well. That means I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't amazing. I really should read it again, because I do recall that it made me think.

2 comments:

Kinseeker said...

Chaim Potok also wrote "In the Beginning", the life story of a brilliant jewish boy who chooses to focus on "Biblical Studies" as his life's work. I would highly recommend it. I found a copy at Deseret Industries a few months ago. Now I keep my eyes open for his work every time I visit.

Tana said...

You should try, "Davita's Harp"