27 February 2005

Another Collection of Books

Alicia: My Own Story- by Alicia Appleman-Jurman- This is a difficult and important book. It is the story of a Jewish girl from eastern Europe during the Holocaust. Her story of survival is amazing, and all she goes through is terrible. I don't agree with all her conclusions, but it is important for me to read about the sufferings of the Jews in the Holocaust. I get too caught up in the current strife.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte- Yet another very good book. I can't tell you how many times I've read this. Excellent and definitely worth reading and rereading.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte- I've read this one three or four times, and I can't decide if I like it. I do dislike it less each time. If you're going to just read one Bronte book, read Jane Eyre, but try this one if you enjoyed Jane Eyre.

Blood Brothers by Elias Chacour- Another book well worth reading. It's about a Christian Palestinian who was living in Palestine in 1948 and his life since then. There is a reasonable amount of controversy surrounding this book. I still highly recommend it.

Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng- This is an excellent book. The story of a Chinese women who refuses to admit guilt to crimes she did not commit. Highly recommended.

The Awakening by Kate Chopin- Hard to describe. I found it dissatisfying- I don't think the solution to her crisis was the best one. But I do recommend it.

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins- Mystery from about 150 years ago. I'm not a big mystery fan, but I liked this one, since it was just a little bit unusual.

The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway- This is an excellent book. I got it when I was in high school and read it several times. It is an autobiography of an Australian woman. She grew up on a sheep station in the outback; she details the good times and the bad. She is an intelligent and ambitious woman who feels stifled by many aspects of Australian society. Highly recommended. I also tried her True North, but I didn't like it quite as much.

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens- This was one of the few books I was required to read in high school. Usually we were able to choose what we wanted to read. Very good book. It got me interested enough to write a 20-page paper on the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution. Recommended.

1 comment:

  1. My book club suggestion on our first planning session was to read "Jane Eyre". I was met with all eys, but blank stares, slack jaws and stiff heads (no nods yes, no nods no).

    Okay, so it was then I subtly learned that we we're together more for the social part, and not necessarily the commentary...in itself, I found that to be good enough for me to join in as a member.

    ReplyDelete