22 February 2005

And Still More Books

These are a variety of books by a variety of authors.

The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas- This one really is quite cheesy in some places, but I still enjoyed it. The story of the Roman soldier who won Jesus' robe at his crucifixion.

James Harriot books- These books are about the life of a country veterinarian in England. Delightful for some light reading.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo- I think I've read this twice. I like it, but it is not the most amazing book I've read.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo- I didn't much like this one, but it was thought-provoking and an important book. However, I am still annoyed that Disney took this book and made it into an animated children's movie. A children's book this is not.

The Story of My Life by Helen Keller- Helen Keller's short biography. It goes up to her years at Radcliffe. Definitely worth reading.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee- Like many people, I love this book. In fact, this is one of the very few fiction books my husband has read it its entirety. Always worth reading or rereading.

Spring Moon by Bette Bao Lord- This book is not very well known. As I recall, the back cover refers to it as a Chinese Gone with the Wind. I can't comment on that, since (horrors) I haven't read Gone with the Wind. I have read this books several times though. I especially enjoy the picture it gives of China. It is interesting to read this along with Life and Death in Shanghai.

West With the Night by Beryl Markham- This is a lovely autobiography of a female pilot in the early days of flying in Africa. Beautifully written (even if it might not actually have been written by Markham).

Christy by Catherine Marshall- This book has been quite popular because of the television series. As usual, I like the book more. It's not amazing, but still a good book.

The Lacemaker by Janine Montupet- I've read this one many, many times. It gives a very interesting look at lacemaking in 17th-century France. Some parts are certainly unrealistic, but my biggest complaint is that the end is awful. No point, it doesn't fit the story, and it just drops you off. But I liked the rest.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Disney didn't "make a children's movie" out of Hunchback. They wrote an entirely new story with characters of the same names. A fact that I discovered when I also read the orginial Hugo.

And frankly, I don't think that even the disney movie is really for kids...

MRKH

annegb said...

Oh, and Les Miserables, yes. I read the abridged version, then I got the unabridged one, and it's full of treasures. It's the book I would take on a desert island.

I'm loving all this talk about books.

annegb said...

Oh, and James Herriott and Spring Moon, and Cynthia Voigt!